Tuesday 16 April 2013

BatCat the notorious First Aid moggy


"When written in Chinese the word "crisis" is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity." -John F Kennedy

If the content of this quote from infamous linguaphile JFK (of German doughnut fame) is to be believed then the Chinese people seem to have quite adequately summed up the exploration mindset. Last week I had the 'opportunity' to learn how to assess, manage and minimize the 'dangers' to life and limb which can come about in a 'crisis' situation.

As part of the British exploring Trainee Leader problem we were put through a 16hr expedition first aid course with Expedition Care Program. The course was comprised of practical training  test scenarios and a certain amount of the obligatory death by powerpoint needed to get such a volume of information across in the short space of time. 

bandaging leg wound

Expedition Care Program have a huge amount of experience in expedition first aid and so the course was brilliantly tailored to meet the needs of a first aider in a remote location. A variety of adaptive techniques were delivered with great focus on how to deliver vital life saving care in the a situation where conditions and supplies could be less than idea. Gaffa tape came in to play. A lot.

A fetching head wound dressing to be combined with a nasopharyngeal tube to maintain an airway

In terms of my journey to expedition leadership the course has provided invaluable insight into the world of expedition first aid and medicine. Not only has the developed my personal skill set to allow me to cope in emergency situations (not to mention legally use any outdoor certifications I gain in the next three years), but also it has opened my eyes to a potential new line of interest for me in the world of expeditions.

First aid has always interested me, Since early days of being a practice student for my wonderful Mum when she worked as a first aid trainer and member of the festival medical services. Through Youth first aid qualifications at school and into work were I inevitably end up getting involved in any incidents which occur. I must admit I enjoy dealing with the situations. So perhaps a career in expedition or outdoors first aid/medicine could be calling. I have long planned to join the local MRT when I finally get settled in a home and job somewhere in the highlands so perhaps continuing down this line could prove interesting in my future.

And so I sit here planning potentiall exciting courses and far flung situations were i can break out the torniquets haemostatic dressings and gaffa tape to save someones life! 


And then to the title... a little strange as it may be we had some seemingly expert assistance from a certain feline resident of the scout camp we were staying on. This four pawed first aider let eagerly into the middle of a practice first aid situation to sit on the face and chest of the casualty clearly indicating to the other trainees exactly which order they should be administering CPR in.
The infamous first aid assistant (it has a batman symbol on its back)

Worringly I sometimes find myself hoping for a situation to arise to put my skills to the test. (not hoping so hard as to cross the line into sociopathic you understand).....

On which frightening note  I will leave you whilst I continue to write up the ongoing adventures I had in the last week learning and developing as an explorer and (hopefully) a leader. 

2 comments:

  1. Well done you! lets hope your skills aren't needed this weekend - but we'll take gaffer tape, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time and continue to find interesting options for your future.

    ReplyDelete